|The cast is of a small, richly-decorated series of mouldings. The original object is in the Museo Chiaramonti of the Vatican Museums (no. 728, H: 22 cm); it entered that collection in 1803. It is dated to the Augustan period on account of the "classical" simplicity of the forms and composition.|
The cast once belonged toThomas Lawrence. It was sold at auction on 10 May 1830 and acquired by the Royal Academy. Numerous entreis from the sales' catalogue read "Ornament from the Magazine of the Vatican."
This work is currently on display in the North Dining Room, Keeper's House, Royal Academy of Arts.