Sir Hamo Thornycroft, R.A. 1850 - 1925
Bust of John Belcher, R.A.
Photo: R.A./Paul Highnam
© Copyright protected
Click here to order image/reproduction rights
 
Bust of John Belcher, R.A., 1881
Bronze, 660 X 430 X 265 mm
Given by Mrs John Belcher, 1914
03/1921
 Add to Lightbox

The architect John Belcher and sculptor Hamo Thornycroft were childhood friends and both became founder members of the Art Workers Guild in 1884. They promoted the revival of architectural decoration through closer collaboration between sculptors and architects. Belcher entrusted the sculptural decoration of his newly designed Institute of Chartered Accountants, London to Thornycroft and Harry Bates (1850-1899).

This work is currently on display in the Saloon at the Royal Academy of Arts and can be viewed by attending one of the free tours of the John Madejski Fine Rooms. Click here for further information about the tours