|The cast shows a small area of the epicranitis (moulded border at the top of the wall) of the exterior of the main building of the Erechtheion on the acropolis of Athens. It is made from a fragment now in the British Museum which was acquired from Thomas Bruce, 7th Earl of Elgin in 1816. The Royal Academy has three other versions of this cast: 04/2834, 12/2261, and 12/2262.|
The Erechtheion, built between 421 and 405 BC housed a number of different cults. For this reason and because of the sloping terrain on which it is built, it is an asymmetrical structure with three different porches. The temple is Ionic in order and has fine architectural detail of which the Royal Academy has a total of 12 casts.
This work is currently on display in the South Dining Room, Keeper's House, Royal Academy of Arts.