Record number 03/5323
TitleStudies And Examples Of The Modern School Of English Architecture. - The Travellers' Club House, By Charles Barry, Architect: Illustrated By Drawings Made By Mr. Hewitt, And Engraved By Mr. J.H. Le Keux. Accompanied By An Essay On The Present State Of Architectural Study And The Revival Of The Italian Style, By W.H. Leeds, Editor Of The Illustrations Of The Public Buildings Of London, &c. &c.
ImprintLondon:: John Weale., MDCCCXXXIX.
Physical Description[iii-]viii, 35, [3] p., 10 pl.; 393 mm. (Folio.)
Content Format Note[T.p., dedic.] - Preface - An Essay On Modern English Architecture. By W.H. Leeds, Esq. - The Travellers' Club - [Colophon] - [Plates] - [Publisher's advertisement].
Summary NoteThe work is an account of the building by which Charles Barry introduced into London not an attempt to draw directly on ancient Roman or Greek styles but to follow the example of Italian 16th-century adaptations of the classical tradition. His designs for the Travellers' Club in Pall Mall (submitted in 1828) have been thought to echo those of Raphael's Palazzo Pandolfini in Florence (ca. 1520). In introducing this 'Renaissance Revival' Barry was following the lead of Percier and Fontaine and J.C. Bonnard in Paris and Leo von Klenze in Munich. In the same tradition were his Reform Club (1841) and Bridgwater House (1851). The style was widely taken up, not only in Europe but throughout the British Empire and in north America.

The plates show: 1, 2. The Travellers' Club House Ground Plan, Principal Plan; 3, 4. Elevation Of The Front, Of The Back Front; 5, 6. Longitudinal Sections; 7, 8. Details Of Principal Front; 9. Details Of Rear Front; 10. Details Of Drawing Room.

The text of 'The Travellers' Club', by S.W. Singer, includes a brief account of the formation of the club, its rules, its committee in 1839 and a list of its members.
Responsibility NoteAll numbered plates are signed as drawn by J. Hewitt and engraved by J.H. Le Keux. The upper cover is signed as drawn and lithographed by J.R. Jobbins.

Each numbered plate carries the publisher's imprint of John Weale, Architectural Library, 59, High Holborn.

The printer is named on the verso of the title-page and in the colophon: 'Printed By W. Hughes, King's Head Court, Gough Square.'

The work is dedicated by John Weale 'To Amateurs And Professors Of The Art'.
SubjectArchitecture - Architecture details - Clubhouses - Clubs (associations) - Great Britain - London - Travellers' Club - History - 19th century - Renaissance Revival
Drawings - Great Britain - 19th century
Plans - Elevations - Sections - Publishers' advertisements - Great Britain - 19th century
Pictorial works - Great Britain - 19th century
Name as Subject Barry, Charles, R.A., 1795 - 1860
Travellers' Club (London)
ReferencesRoyal Institute of British Architects, British Architectural Library ... Early printed books, 2 (1995), no. 1808, p.957.

M. Whiffen, 'The Travellers' Club, its building history and the evolution of its design', in RIBA J., 3rd. ser. 59:11 (1952), p.417-9.

The 'Renaissance Revival' is surveyed in G.U. Grossman and P. Krutisch, Renaissance der Renaissance : ein burgerliche Kunststil im 19. Jahrhundert-Nachtrag (1995); the London clubs, in A. Lejeune and M. Lewis, The gentlemen's clubs of London (1979).
Binding Note19th-century papered boards, upper cover lithographed, 'The Travellers' Club House Designed And Executed By Charles Barry, Architect. London. John Weale, 1839.', 20th-century quarter green morocco; spine lettered 'The Travellers' Club House.'
ProvenanceBequeathed from the library of Sir Edwin Cooper R.A., 1961.
Variant TitleTravellers' Club House, By Charles Barry
Essay On The Present State Of Architectural Study And The Revival Of The Italian Style
Contributors Leeds, William Henry, 1786 - 1866, Essay On Modern English Architecture
Weale, John, 1791 - 1862, publisher
Hughes, William, fl. 1839 - 1849, printer
Hewitt, J., fl. ca. 1839?, draughtsman
Le Keux, John Henry, 1812 - 1896, engraver
Jobbins, John R., fl. ca. 1838 - 1850?, draughtsman, lithographer
Cooper, Edwin, 1785 - 1833, previous owner, donor
Architectural Library (London). publisher
MARC Record view