|The cast reproduces one of the two extant composite capitals from the Arch of Titus. Of the original eight capitals only the two half-capitals flanking the passageway of the east (Colosseum-facing) side of the Arch are preserved. This is the southernmost of the two capitals. |
It was acquired by the Royal Academy from Thomas Lawrence whose collection was sold on 10 May 1830. In the section on plaster casts, under the heading Arch of Titus, entry 78 reads, "Capital to Columns of the Order".
The composite capital, which features the scrolls of the Ionic order and the acanthus leaves of the Corinthian order, was a Roman invention. The Arch of Titus, built between 82-90, provides one of the earliest examples of this type of capital.