Founded in 1901. Incorporated by Royal Charter in 1912 (supplemented 1996). Initially the School was primarily focussed on archaeology and was led by Prof. Henry Pelham. Art became a force on its reconstitution in 1911/12. The School operated a system of scholarships for young British artists to widen their ecxperience through contact with the environments and collections of Rome. The School remains a centre of excellence in archaeological research and Italian studies.